Tenant FAQs

Home > Our Services > Tenant FAQs

Find out what Mission Property can do for you by reading Our Tenant Services

Still have a question? Read the list of frequently asked questions below. Or feel free to contact us directly

  • 1. What is the difference between fixed and periodic tenancy?

    Fixed term tenancy has a start and fixed finish date. It cannot be terminated by either party. Periodic tenancy can be terminated by written notice. Tenants must give 21 days written notice for termination of tenancy agreement.

  • 2. How does the bond work?

    The bond is typically equal to 4 weeks rent and is paid at the beginning of the tenancy as a deposit. Once the bond has been received by the property manager, it will be passed on to Tenancy Services within 28 days. This is kept secure until a bond refund form is received and signed by both parties. It takes up to 3 working days for Tenancy Services to process a bond refund and credit the funds back into the tenants bank account.

  • 3. What is a move in cost?

    A move in cost consists of one weeks rent in advance and the bond, which is typically 4 weeks rent.

  • 4. Can the rent be increased during tenancy?

    Yes if you are on periodic tenancy. Yes if you are on a fixed term tenancy as long as it was stipulated in your contract where the landlord has to give 60 days notice in writing for this to suffice.

  • 5. Can the owner sell the property tenants are renting?

    Yes, they can. However, if the tenant is on a fixed term tenancy this agreement holds and the tenant will stay in the property until the end of the tenancy agreement.

  • 6. What should I do if an urgent repair is required?

    Please notify your property manager as soon as possible and we will take appropriate actions.

  • 7. How do I pay rent?

    Tenants are required to pay rent by direct credit to the listed bank account. All necessary documentation (automatic payment form or deposit slip) will be provided before tenants move in.

  • 8. Do I have to pay for power and water?

    We advise that tenants read the tenancy agreement carefully where all outgoing charges will be stipulated. This agreement should be discussed and any questions answered by your property manager before signing to avoid any future disputes.

  • 9. Who is responsible for the water supply?

    Landlords are responsible for ensuring there is an adequate supply of water available at their rental properties. If the property does not have a sufficient water supply, the landlord must provide a solution for the collection and storage of water. According to the Residential Tenancies Act 1986, a tenant is responsible for water charges exclusively attributed to that tenant, where the supplier charges for water on the basis of consumption. Where the water supplier contracts with the landlord, and the landlord passes the obligation to pay water charges onto the tenant, the tenant is obliged to pay these water charges exclusively attributed to that tenant.

    If the tenant pays the charges but the landlord does not pay the water supplier and the water is disconnected, the landlord may be held responsible to pay for the reconnection of the water supply. Tenants may be charged for wastewater where the wastewater charge is exclusively attributable to the tenant’s use. Some water suppliers now include calculations of wastewater by reference to water supplied. A landlord is responsible for outgoings which are incurred regardless of whether the properties are occupied or not. For example, a fixed wastewater charge (which is charged regardless of whether the property is occupied or not) would, in most cases, be the responsibility of the landlord. If the property is part of a Unit Title Development, the Body Corporate rules form part of the tenancy agreement.

    If the Body Corporate rules regulate the supply of water amongst the units, then landlords should point this out to any potential or current tenants and must attach a copy of the relevant Body Corporate rules to the tenancy agreement. If a tenant fails to pay the water charges, the tenant may be in breach of their tenancy agreement and the landlord can issue the tenant with a 14 day notice to settle the breach. Refusing to do so may result in a Tenancy Tribunal application.

  • 10. Can the tenant apply for a lease break/subletting/assignment?

    Yes the tenant can but admin fees will incur

  • 11. Is the Tenant required to pay for damage to the property?

    Depending on who caused the damage will result in who is responsible for covering repairs. Tenants need to notify the landlord if they know of any damage or need for repairs. If the tenant does not notify the landlord as soon as possible, the landlord may be able to claim some of the costs of repairing the damage from the tenant if it gets worse.

  • 12. Insurance Note:

    We recommend tenants get their own content insurance. Your landlord’s property insurance does not cover your belongings.


Ready to optimise your investment?

Mission Property Management wants to make your investment journey a truly memorable and seamless experience. A complete property management service.